Tuesday, 26 February 2013

The online sphere vs. reality: what I've learned.

So things fell through with the guy I was kind of seeing. Partly related to my previous somewhat ambiguous blog post. After going through a series of different feelings about this, I eventually did what most people do with time - I got over it.

On Sunday I found myself at a loose end on the laptop and I tried something I never thought I would do - I joined an online dating website. I was certainly intrigued about this whole online world of potential great people that I could be potentially ignoring. The initial signs were mixed. There are certainly the stereotypical 'older' dare I say 'desperate' type of male who seem to come on a bit too strong, but I suppose this is no different to some of the people you might meet in a normal social situation.

I ended up talking to a guy and 'hitting it off' 'as much as you can in an online chat format type thing I guess'. He seemed genuine enough and we exchanged phone numbers. He is one year older than me but mature for his age. I went in with low expectations having been disappointed in my previous semi-relationship encounter. Today we met up (in a public place - be safe people!!) and it was great. We got a coffee. Which turned into a second coffee. Which turned into a walking aimlessly through the Botanic Gardens. Which turned into dinner. Which turned into going to the Garden of Unearthly Delights. Which turned into me getting home at 9.30pm (we met at 2.30pm). I haven't been on one of those dates were you just talk and time passes by unknowingly...and you know you have to leave but you don't want to. And knowing that the other person feels the same. When day turns into night and you don't even notice. And goodbye kisses.

I think going by today, we have a fair bit in common and a lot to talk about. He is passionate and driven, to the point where I almost find it inspiring. He works in a similar field to the one I see myself entering in the future which is endearing. He ticks a lot of my boxes. We shall see how things develop...

In other news - my first week of Post-grad uni has been completed. Absolutely bombarded with information but I am happy to have my brain back functioning on something that I have actually found surprisingly interesting.

I am heading to Melbourne soon and will update after that - hopefully with pics! I realise my posts are pretty text-heavy!

1 comment:

  1. Gahhhhh sounds like the best date ever :D and obviously you must have a bit in common if it got over the 'so where have you been all my life' lines and basic info about yourself, and into flowing conversation haha.
    :) Am keen to see how this pans out also.

    xZ

    ReplyDelete