Monday, 11 February 2013

Life's lessons: classroom vs. real world

As I write this my life is at a transitional stage: next week I shall begin my first week as a post-graduate student at uni as I work to complete my masters. This will be my fifth year at university, having already completed an undergrad double degree in Journalism & International Studies which kept me interested and engaged but doesn't provide endless opportunities at the end. Reality begins to hit, as the safety net of assignments and essays begins to fade behind you, other options run frantically through your mind. For me, I decided to take a change of direction - a complete change of direction - and do my masters in social work. After a final undergrad semester studying my hardest to ensure I gained a competitive GPA score I accepted an offer in my first choice of uni (the same one I have been for the last four years - beginning to feel like a piece of furniture around the place).

Today I went shopping for new stationery, and after sifting through all manner of notepads, workbooks, folders and highlighters I trundled home with my new purchases ready to face the challenges ahead. I find that new stationery usually has that effect. After checking my uni email I find that the tutor expects us to turn up on day 1 having already done our readings and bought the text book. This is a far cry from week 1 of first-year uni where you are gently broken in and can cruise for the first month or so while you're 'settling-in'. I can already sense that masters has upped the responsibility and it feels serious. I am slightly daunted by the challenge ahead but feel I am ready to take the next step on my 'educational journey'.

My educational journey has also been bolstered by some real life experience. This weekend I made a mistake. Not a serious mistake. Everyone involved was fine - safe and well, but to one person in particular I caused what I now know to be a great deal of annoyance. I was intoxicated at the time (because this is when we all make our best decisions!). My close friends who I was with at the time have laughed the incident off, joyfully recalling my embarrassing words and actions the next morning and noting that if I hadn't already turned 21 the events of the night would've been included in my speech. But most importantly, this is what it taught me:

  • real friends will forgive you for your poor decisions
  • those same friends will be there to comfort you, even when others see faults in you
  • talk is cheap - everyone can talk a good game and create their persona through words, but actions can make or break this persona 
  • you can find advice and support in places you never even thought to look - I confided in a friend at work and was moved to tears by the kind words. 
  • even the most jovial of people can give serious advice and motivate a strength in you
and the most important thing I've learned in relation to my recent experience:

  • if you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best
the above is partly from a quote by Marilyn Monroe but I feel it relates to my recent situation perfectly. I have been thinking about it a lot lately, and remind myself of it when I start to feel guilt at the annoyance I caused through my actions. My friends who were present on the night have also piped in with, "remember your quote" etc. and I know that it's true. Wise ones also say that hard times reveal true friends. Recently I have come to see these true friends. But I don't just mean the ones who live in Adelaide who have seen my actions first-hand. I also have friends interstate and overseas who continue to enrich my life and offer support. One of those is Zannia, who happens to be a fantastic writer and blogger - http://chroniclesofzannia.blogspot.com.au/ and was the one who encouraged me to create this blog.

1 comment:

  1. First of all... I kinda started drooling when I read about shopping for stationery - the most exciting thing about uni/school worldwide!! I always love a sweet-smelling new pencil case and cute diary.

    Secondly, YAAAAYYYY at this blog being created.
    Bookmarking now.

    I'm pretty intrigued to know what you did on the weekend. I hope you've completely come to terms with it now. Sounds like you've done well. And that quote is brilliant. The worst of situations will give you the clearest view of the people around you.

    Thanks so much for your kind words about me Allana :) I just finished the paper and got your message, came on here and smiled so big!
    I will always be there for you, and yeah, screw the idea of distance getting in the way.
    Hope you continue writing on here.

    The masters course sounds scary! But kind of cool.
    I've recently started trying to organise myself more - like looking further in advance and saving my money and planning dates in my diary so I can organise little things around them, eg. buying early flights, getting time off work, etc.
    I think this new challenge of yours will have fun perks and you'll feel so accomplished at your successes, and you'll learn from your failures (I hope) haha. Enjoy the ride baby doll.

    xxxx LOVE.

    ReplyDelete